The Unity Coalition for Israel happily presents the Oversight and Government Reform hearing, led by Rep. DeSantis, and featuring House members and expert witnesses who address the topic,
Moving the American Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem: Challenges and Opportunities.
Above is a short opener and you can view the entire event below.
FULL HEARING VIDEO:
As United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom, Sam Brownback once said,
“It is completely feasible to move the United States Embassy in Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. And, not only that, it is the responsible thing to do. The only place in the world where we don’t have our embassy in the nation’s capital is in Israel. And I think that’s a terrible statement on our part! Here’s one of our closest allies in the world and we don’t have our embassy in their nation’s capital. We can do it. We should do it. Now is the time to do it.”
- To discuss the benefits and challenges of relocating the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel-Aviv to the capital of Jerusalem.
- In each country worldwide, the United States embassy is located in their capital; however, the U.S. Embassy in Israel is located in Tel Aviv rather than Israel’s capital of Jerusalem.
- Congress has consistently voted to support recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s undivided capital. Through the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995, Congress voted overwhelmingly to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem by requiring the withholding of State Department funds if the embassy is not moved. However, Presidents have exercised a national security waiver provision in the law to delay moving the embassy.
- President Trump has promised to move the embassy to Jerusalem. On June 1, 2017, President Trump signed a six-month waiver to delay moving the embassy.
- The second waiver deadline of the Trump Administration occurs on December 1, 2017.
Witnesses and testimonies
|The Honorable John Bolton||Senior Fellow||American Enterprise Institute||Document|
|Ambassador Dore Gold||President||Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs||Document|
|Mr. Eugene Kontorovich||Professor of Law||Northwestern University||Document|
|Mr. Morton Klein||President||Zionist Organization of America||Document|
|Dr. Michael Koplow||Policy Director||Israel Policy Forum||Document|
(If you share this article with our sharing tools below, the above image will appear with the link.)